Working with ActionAid
We’re looking for skilled staff who are committed to working towards a common goal to eradicate poverty and injustice and achieve gender equality.
Position available (December 2019)
Head of Fundraising
Dublin 1, with occasional national and international travel.
Salary range (subject to experience): €50,000 – €60,000
Reports to: CEO
Direct reports: 4
Contract: 2-year contract subject to extension to become permanent after 2 years.
Budget Holder: yes
Context: Our strategy Realising Rights for Women and Children: ActionAid Ireland Strategy 2017-2021 places fundraising at the heart of our work in Ireland and commits us to diversify channels and increase unrestricted income. The Strategy was externally reviewed at the half-way mark in mid-2019. Having systematically tested new regular giving propositions and channels, while prioritising the care of our current loyal supporters, we have improved clarity on the focus for the next phase which includes Digital as a development priority, seeking to develop our relationship and income streams from major donors, legacies and with selected institutions.
Key Attributes: Innovation, strategic vision, leadership, a clear commitment to ActionAid’s mission and values.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables:
- To work closely with the CEO and SLT and to lead the development of the organisation’s strategic plan for fundraising and the development of operational plans to realise the strategy
- To rigorously analyse results and devise plans based on evidence and results
- To offer Leadership to the fundraising team and within the SLT
- To actively engage with and contribute to ActionAid’s international fundraising leadership team
- To ensure appropriate systems, processes and standards are in place to realise the organisation’s objectives and ensure the organisation is fully compliant and meets best practice standards.
- To grow both voluntary income and unrestricted income as a proportion of overall income.
• To grow regular giving income from a mix of channels and grow the overall value of the supporter base
• To develop new channels and income streams including digital, major donors and legacies
- To ensure quality care and development plans for ActionAid’s supporters and to achieve retention targets
- To maximise support from the existing (and re-engage lapsed) supporter base by segmenting, testing and developing appropriate upgrade and engagement plans for supporters.
- To espouse ActionAid’s social justice and equality values
Internal: Member of the Senior Leadership team comprising the Head of Programmes, Finance Manager, Head of Fundraising and the CEO. You will work closely with counterparts in the ActionAid Global Secretariat and in countries across the world.
External: Third party suppliers and partners, local and international fundraising and peer networks
Experience, Knowledge and Expertise
- Proven track record devising and implementing successful fundraising strategies and plans
- Experience of developing and delivering fundraising programmes across individual giving or corporate or major donor or legacies
- Proven ability to deliver innovation across the fundraising portfolio
- Networked and connected to fundraising developments and emerging trends
- Proficiency in data analysis and in building credible costed plans
- Experience in preparing and managing budgets and accounting for plans and budgets at a senior level
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work flexibly in a small team
- Competencies and personal qualities to enable you lead and achieve results through a highly motivated small team, working closely with CEO
- Empathy and sound judgement
- Experience of working closely with Boards
- Expertise in digital acquisition
- Knowledge and experience in the International Development sector
You share our passion to work towards a just, fair and sustainable world, where everybody enjoys the right to a life of dignity, freedom from poverty and oppression. You want your talents and expertise to make a measurable difference towards achieving our mission for social justice and gender equality, and to eradicate poverty. You thrive in a workplace where you have the autonomy to implement your ideas and to lead at a senior level.
What makes ActionAid different?
ActionAid’s approach is about empowering people to claim their rights. Our working relationships, in Ireland and across the world are based on mutual trust, respect and democracy. As part of our commitment to women’s rights we recognise, embody and champion feminist principles not only in the work we do, but the way we work, and how we do things. This Is a committed attempt at reflection, continuous learning, and being mindful of the power we have as individuals in any situation (irrespective of where we are in the organisational structure) and how we exercise it. If you like the sound of that, we can’t wait to welcome you aboard.
This profile sets out the current duties of the post however that may vary from time to time without changing the character of the job or the level of responsibility entailed. However, all role profiles are regularly reviewed and updated in line with organisational needs.
For an informal confidential conversation please contact Quinton Seemann at Recruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application is by CV and cover letter to Recruitment.email@example.com