Leave a Legacy Behind


Leaving a gift in your will is one of the lasting ways of expressing love for your family and the people you care for most.  

Climate migrant Saleha with her neighbor friend

Why ActionAid?

By leaving a gift in your will to ActionAid, you will help us to continue our work in standing up against poverty and inequality. It will help us provide long-term support to women and children around the world to enable them to access their human rights and live happy and safe lives.

Writing a gift into your will to ActionAid is also a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change lives around the world for the better. You’ll be making a positive difference to women and children living in poverty and exclusion around the world.

We can help with will writing and leaving a gift in your will.

How can you make a will for ActionAid?

  • Work out the value of your estate. 
  • Add ActionAid Ireland among your beneficiaries
  • Appoint your executors
  • Talk to your solicitor to have your Will drawn up
  • Keep your will in a safe place

 

Contact Us Today

Frequently asked questions about ActionAid Legacy

What type of gift is best?  

Any gift that you can give to ActionAid Ireland will make a positive impact on so many lives. A residuary gift takes care of their family first and remains proportional to the value of their estate by keeping in mind with inflation. But we are so grateful for any gift.  

Who should act as an executor of my will?

An executor of a will is anyone who ensures that the wishes your will entails is carried out. You can appoint whoever you choose for this responsibility, such as a relative or family friend. It is very important that you ask them first.  

How do I choose my solicitor? 

Details on solicitors who specialise in wills or legacies can be found in this page of the Law Society of Ireland (lawsociety.ie). When you are deciding on a solicitor, make sure to ask how much they would charge for preparing your will and for dealing with your estate if they are appointed as your executor.  

Do I need to draw up a new will?  

If you do not wish to alter your existing will, other than to add in your gift to ActionAid Ireland, it is possible to alter your will by preparing a document called a Codicil. We would advise you that you consult a solicitor to ensure that the Codicil is valid.

Can I save tax by leaving a gift to ActionAid Ireland?  

A gift to ActionAid Ireland in your will is tax-exempt. It is advised that you seek the advice of a professional regarding taxation and your will.   

Can I leave a legacy to a specific project or type of work?  

Your gift is more effective if you specify that your legacy can be used where the need is greatest. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you’d like to discuss this.  

How will ActionAid Ireland use my legacy?

ActionAid will use your gift to work with women and children living in poverty and exclusion to support them to take the lead in accessing their human rights (like education, healthcare and living lives free from violence).

How donations are spent

80% of donations to ActionAid Ireland are spent on charitable activities, including long-term development projects and response to emergencies. The remaining 20% is spent on raising funds and governance. We publish our annual independently audited accounts on our website every year in July.

where-actionaid-works

Contact us 

Get in touch if you have any further questions about including a gift in your will. You can email us at info@actionaid.ie or call us on 01460 238000.

CHY 6888, Company Reg. No. 95403, Tax No. 47327221, Registered Charity No. 20013790

Web Design Agency Webbiz.ie